Monday 20 October 2014

Tulle Doll Ballgown


Yes, I know that 8-9 year old American girls don't have much need for a ballgown, but what little girl doesn't like a princess dress. Now the dolls have two.

The inspiration for each refashion I do stems from the original garment. In this case, the front skirt piece from the Disney dress was exactly the right length and width for a floor length doll's skirt. The lining, the main skirt, the tulle overlay and the silver cord were all left intact from the original dress. I liked the puffy sleeves too, so I cut them out as well and re-used them almost whole, including the bands.


Unbelievably, I couldn't get full bodice pieces out of the child's dress. That decal is so large that the front wasn't good for anything. The back is literally pieced together to get enough for the back bodice. You can see the three pieces for each bodice back. I cut a strip for the neckline which turned it into a funnel neck.I preferred this to a facing because the stitching line is not on show. With knits this fine, my machine skips a lot of stitches, even with a walking foot.

I added the silver ribbon for three reasons: to hide the waist seam, fasten the back of the skirt, and hide the gap where the back of the skirt didn't quite have enough width to hide the opening.

The original dress has been a very productive refashion, aside from this dress, the back of the skirt got refashioned into a doll's skirt and an accent for a doll Halloween costume. Three cute doll garments from one not so cute dress. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...