Sunday 12 October 2014

Doll Witch Costume


It's time for the dollies to go trick or treating too. Well, one of them anyway. I had literally mere scraps left from the Halloween cloaks. Here they are:


See? I wasn't joking. Still, I had to try to get something out of them for the dolls. I guessed I could manage a scrappy skirt, and possibly a cape.


For the skirt, I cut 7-8 pieces into right-angled triangles, each 16cm long. Then I pinked the raw edges. Then I overlapped them and ran a basting/gathering thread around the top. Instead of using up  fabric to make an elastic casing, I zig zagged them straight on to the elastic. The elastic was already in a circle so the join is just made by overlapping the last two triangles.


I'm afraid that the cloak is not a triumph of high quality finishing. By the time I had made two children's cloaks and a doll's skirt out of 4 yards of black polycotton, I was more than a bit sick of it. I pieced 4 long right-angled triangles to make a rectangle. Then I just hemmed the sides, pinked the raw edges and sewed two lengths of black grosgrain ribbon on for ties.


But, after Emily tried it on, I decided she looked a bit plain, plus that thigh split is a bit indecent. She needed to be a bit closer to the costumes my daughters have been looking at on the official website.


I had some spotted tulle that I salvaged from a refashion so decided to add it as an overlay to the skirt. I gathered it and zig zagged it to the waistband. Now she is properly pink and sparkly and not a bit dark and creepy.  Just as she should be. I'm planning a school holiday project to make some hats and broomsticks for the dolls. Maybe a trick or treat bag too.


Cost: £0.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...