Monday 6 October 2014

Halloween Costume: Vampire Cape


When my kids go out trick or treating, I have to plan on it being really cold. And quite possibly, raining. A cloak is the perfect costume outer layer. It can go over coats and transform their outfit into something recognisable. Thank goodness I have a witch and a vampire heading out this year. Cloaks are a go!

Now, I know I can buy kids costumes for peanuts from certain online enormous retailers, but I like the satisfaction of making them myself.


For the fabric I went to a different enormous big box retailer and got some pre-cut polycotton yardage. I planned it a while ago so bought them when I was in North America. I thought about just running a drawstring along one edge of a square and calling it done, but I wanted something that would be easier to wear. I took advantage of a pattern sale from Minerva to buy Simplicity 1584, a beautifully styled pattern, essentially a dress and a cloak which lends itself to a great selection of kids costumes.

The pattern calls for 3 yards, but I only had two, so I made do. I laid the pattern pieces out along the fold line and left the corner pieces out. I think it makes it look more bat-like, as well as saving me another yard of fabric.

The lining was also a pre-cut, poly-satin. Only one yard this time so I was really short. I used it to line just the front and I am really happy with the effect. I even figured out how to attach the lining to the seam allowance to enclose them all inside the lining - go me!


The pattern called for a hook and eye closure, and had a separate neck-tie. I decided to bring the neck tie into the cloak front as a fastening. I just made up two halves and enclosed it in the front seam. No lost pieces and I love how the black, red and white all work together to be instantly recognisable as Dracula.


Costs
Fabric: 2 yards polycotton (Walmart) £6.31
Lining: 1 yard poly-satin (Walmart) £6.63
Tie: stash
Interfacing: scraps from stash - £0.00
Thread: stash - £0.00
Pattern: half cost (Minerva.com) £1.63
Total: £14.58

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...