Friday 10 October 2014

Halloween Costume: Witch's Cloak


Trick or treat!  Scary, huh? Luckily one of the cutest girls I know is underneath that hood.

This is the second instalment of the Halloween costume cloaks. It is almost the same as the vampire cloak but with no lining and a hood instead of a collar.

Because there is no lining to tidy things up, I did French seams for the side seams. I used scraps for the hood, so I had to piece two triangles together to make a rectangle large enough. I wanted it really big so it would hang across the shoulders and down the back. I got it so large that I had to gather the neckline to get it to fit the cloak.

Then I went to town on finishings. I did a 1 inch hem facing for the front of hood, bias binding seam finishes where the hood attaches to the cloak and more hem facings along each front opening. The gap in the side seams is not hemmed because this is the selvedge and I didn’t want to take away any fabric, or add any weight. I made a small tie front and enclosed it in the front facing.

Happy Halloween!


Costs:
Fabric: 2 yards (Walmart) £6.31
Thread: stash £0.00
Pattern: half cost (Minerva) £1.63
Total: £7.94

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...