Saturday 19 October 2013

Long Sleeve Olivia Top



I've been dying to get around to making an Olivia Top for... well, pretty much ever since I first discovered Jess' wonderful Blog.  She has so many generous tutorials there, I am dying to try almost all of them.

With the weather turning cooler, I had been thinking about winter sewing. My sewing is much more summer oriented; cotton prints are the eye candy of the fabric store, right?  But long sleeves and thicker fabrics are what we need in winter.And we have a lot of winter.


This fabric has had a wild ride to where it is today.  It started out as a shirt belonging to my husband's late father. It was a lovely, soft flannel cotton but I knew the girls wouldn't like the colour.  So I bleached it and then I dyed it and here it is, being worn, more than 20 years later, by a little girl as a top. An unrecognisable upcycle, from this:


to this:


I didn't follow the tutorial exactly, I didn't have enough fabric to get gathers into the lower section. It is so large on her that I don't think this top needs them. I used a sleeve pattern from a child's vintage dress pattern that I bought this year. It is a very versatile pattern and I'll definitely make it again. I would like to make a more gathered, puffy sleeve version in a very fine fabric. I'll make it a bit more close fitting next time because it is very roomy on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...