Saturday 28 September 2013

Dyeing success!

Upcycling this particular shirt is an ongoing saga. Aren't you riveted to your seat, waiting for the next installment?  Here it is!

After my bleaching misadventures, I thought I would have one last shot at getting the fabric to a colour that my kids would wear.

From khaki green to salmon orange, I contemplated what colour I could put over the top to get something that wouldn't be brown. Navy was a contender but I thought I would go for red and see what happened.


What happened was beyond my wildest dreams. I was expecting that I had completely ruined the fibres by bleaching first, but they came out a fantastic bright pink! In fact, this is the exact shade I have been looking for to match for a patterned fabric that I need to tone down. I was expecting to be looking for years for this shade and it came out of my own washing machine.


I haven't dyed anything before so seeing the insides of my machine turn a bright red was pretty fun (and scary!) I added a couple of other shirts that needed bringing back to life. One was a bright green, a shade that didn't really suit me. I thought it would come out brown and I was ok with that, but it came out as a deep grape purple, with green stitching left as a contrast. I love it!


I sense a new addiction forming. What can I get my hands on next?


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...