Saturday 31 May 2014

Me-Made-May '14: Summary

I, Cathy of Cathy makes..., signed up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavoured to wear a handmade item at least four days a week and, for one week, every day for the duration of May 2014.

Me-Made-May has been a great exercise, I am so pleased that I participated. Did I achieve my goal(s)? Yes! I wore 24 outfits in 31 days. 15 items went into the outfits.

Week 5


During the final 3 days of May, I had to finish on a high note: 3 for 3.








Day 1: Thursday 29th
Me-Made: Silver T-shirt
Weather: cold, overcast
Activity: work








Day 2: Friday 30th
Me-Made: 70's dress (worn as skirt), brown jumper
Weather: cold
Activity: work from home








Day 3: Saturday 31st
Weather: mild
Activity: gardening


My Challenge

I chose the four days a week challenge to make sure I wore something to work at least once a week. I work from home once a week so I knew I could hide out at home three days a week. By adding a fourth day, I had to get out to the office every week in something handmade. I hadn't figured out that there are also two holiday Mondays in May; if I had wanted to, I could have only worn something to the office on two days of the whole month. But it is a challenge and I wanted to stick to my goal so I went with my plan of one thing per week to the office. By the end of the month, I had actually worn something to the office 6 times. I got no funny looks, and no funny comments. The world didn't end either. Mind-blowing!

I had a second part to my pledge: for one week, to wear something handmade every day. A tryout of a full MMM, if you will. I got this part out of the way in week one, tackling it while the whole concept was still a novelty. I was on such a roll, I wondered if I should go for every day of the whole month. But then what challenge would I do in 2015? Plus, I got a bit bored of my clothes and was happy to mix in some RTW.

I also had an unstated goal of getting out and about in a completely handmade outfit. I accomplished this 3 times. Dresses make it easier.

My Clothing

My selection of handmade garments is very small. I had only 14 garments at the start of May when I searched this blog under the label for me. I also had a few hand knits that I made before I started this blog. Thankfully, the weather in May is quite variable and I could get out in both summer and winter garb in the same month. In a different climate, I would not have had enough clothing to keep up with the challenge all month without wearing the same things over and over again.

The variable weather and the different activities I undertook showed me that my handmade wardrobe spans both work and casual, warm and cool weather. I hadn't realised it was so varied. What a great thing to discover, I am very pleased with myself!

The item I reached for most was...
...my mustard knit cardigan. I wore it 6 times! I only finished it on 11th May! Imagine if I had it from day 1? In my own defence, it is seasonally prefect for May, was brand new and goes with nothing, therefore goes with anything. I think I'd better go and wash it now.

There were also a few items that did not make it on to the podium.  My two Sorbettos spring to mind. Sadly, one was more of a wearable muslin and is now truly only wearable for garden chores like washing the car. The other, I think the combo of fabric plus ruffle is too juvenile on me and I need to think about refashioning it. Maybe a black contrast trim, cutting off the ruffle, something to make me wear it. The other reason is that the weather was pretty bad in May so I needed winter gear. I sew more summer stuff so the odds were not in their favour. Another summer piece that I really like, but did not wear in May was my chiffon top.  Promise I'll wear you to work on the next gorgeous day, ok? I also have some unblogged knits that didn't get worn. Many things I knit are not suitable for leaving the house in.

I finished more projects during May than I typically do. I know it was the impetus of the challenge. I wasn't panic sewing (truly!) but I do sew more productively with a deadline. My May finishes were my grey dress, mustard cardigan and red skirt. I really wanted to add another Miette and a mustard t-shirt to my wardrobe, but the month is over and they are not finished.

Pictures

My pictures were so varied. Why did I have a terrible picture as my first outfit each week? The opening photo of the first two posts were awful.

A lot of my photos were snapped from a phone. These were usually the truly terrible ones. The indoor shots on rainy days were also dire. The best, by far, were those where I had time, and weather, to take the tripod outside and set up the nice camera.

Outcomes

Participating in the challenge really helped me to look at my handmades with a critical eye, to ask myself: Would I wear that today? If the answer was no, I needed to do something about it. For starters, I've learned that dress patterns need to be made up in a wild, fun print for weekend wear, or super-plain for work wear. Plus, prints hide, or distract from, a multitude of sewing, and fitting, sins. I refashioned a dress in a simple cotton print into a much more versatile top.

I have been noticing how much I like, or don't like, what I make. Honestly, I prefer RTW. I am proud of what I make and I love the process, but I don't like the finished results. They don't pass the would-I-buy-this? test. They are always just a little bit "off". A seam is puckered, or twisted, my hems are wavy. Why would I spend hours sewing a handmade garment when I can buy a fully finished one for less money? There is plenty of one-of-a-kind RTW around these days, the fabrics are better, the finishes are better, and I can try on to see if they suit me and leave it behind if the reality of my reflection doesn't match up with the fantasy of my inspiration.

The stark reality for a home sewer like me is fabric choice. Unless I have access to a specialty fabric store, I can get hold of quilting cotton, wool boucle, and some stretch jersey. RTW clothes are now made of much more sophisticated fabrics than these, handled by experts and it shows.

I don't mean to be all down on sewing here. I love sewing for the girls, the doll clothes are strangely gratifying, and I love the fact that I can sew. I think I just have to be a bit more choosy about what I actually make, and work to my strengths, while practicing on my weaknesses. I'm certainly not giving up now!

Postscript

Guess who was also playing along this month? Forget about me, I could have done a whole month of them in my handmades. The beauty of it is - I let them dress themselves!


Here she is, photo-bombing me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...