Friday 7 June 2013

Sorbetto




Thank you to Colette for this lovely (free!) pattern, Sorbetto.


This is a very versatile pattern and the fit is great.  I like how it is a tank top but the shoulder straps are wide enough and the neckline is high enough to keep it modest enough to wear anywhere, including the office.


Although it is a pretty simple construction, with no fastenings, I had a few firsts which kept me interested: first time printing out and assembling a downloaded pattern, first upcycle and first time making my own bias binding.


For the upcycle, I reclaimed a worn out fitted sheet.  The sheet was expensive but, as with all high thread-count cotton, very fine and flimsy.  But it is wonderfully soft, a great colour and a lovely sheen to it too.  One of the longest process for this project was unpicking all the elastic (more reclaiming), ironing out the creases (sort of) and identifying all the imperfections in my reclaimed fabric (I still missed one).  I have a lot of sheet left and I think the fabric is too nice to use for toiles.  Some kid tops would be nice, plus the Penny Dress, of course.  


I changed a couple of things in the pattern:

-French seams for the side seams and shoulders, especially with a very fine fabric.  I have a particular aversion to exposed seams as they are a dead giveaway of a home-made garment and I don’t have an overlocker.

-Allowance for my short waist by cutting a straight line from the waist-level notch to the bottom of the garment.  I need to figure out how to draft a better curve for next time.

-Lowered the armhole opening by 1.5cm.

-Lengthened garment by 1cm (could do more).


For decoration, I included the button to distract from my three (three!) imperfections on the front.  Hopefully it works.  No, I’m not telling what they are.


Cost

Fabric: free

Pattern: free

Thread: stash, perfect match

Notions: button from stash

Tools: new bias binding maker, ½ inch, £5.59





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...