Tuesday 3 September 2013

Teddy Bear Carriers


I had just enough time to sew these to take on our summer holiday.  They were also handy bed time bribery: a Special Surprise, if nobody called Mummy back after bedtime.


I used this pattern and tutorial from Little Punkin Pie.  I changed it only slightly by making the fold for the seat shorter, so that the leg holes came out larger.  I also skipped buttons, and just tied the straps through the buttonholes.  I found that the straps, at 50", were not long enough.  These would be fine for a toddler, but older children need more length. Then I realised that it is easier for them to slip it on and off by themselves if it is not crossed over, so they can use it without my help.


I skipped the front pocket, mainly for reasons of time.  It wouldn't be impossible to go back and add it later, if I feel like it. One of the first things Big Sis said (after, "Thank you Mummy!" of course) was, "It needs a pocket!" 


I was able to use up the last of the starburst fabric, which was perfect for this project, due to its weight and lack of drape.  For the linings, I used the same shirts that I used for the linings of their hats, darker for the Little One and lighter for Big Sis.  I also did different colour topstitching, but they don't look much different.


The carriers have been a hit - E is crazy about teddy bears, and her special bear in particular.  Teddy went for lots of walks while we were on holiday, and we didn't have to carry him once!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...