Saturday 31 August 2013

Two Hats


These hats and dresses were my last hurrah for Summer.

After I finished the Starburst Dresses I asked Little One if she wanted something particular from the leftover fabric.  "A hattie!" was the reply.

Cue the free pattern from Oliver & S: the Reversible Bucket Hat.  Thanks so much!  It's a great pattern with gorgeous photography and illustrations.  The size Large was the perfect fit for both their noggins.


In addition to the Starburst cotton, I used the trusty old shirts for the reverse (which in this case will most likely be a lining).  Little Sis got the same bright blue as the lining of her Scooter Basket and Big Sis got the same palest blue as went into the bodice of the Butterfly Dress.  Total cost: £0.00 (although I am tempted to cost the dresses at £5.00 each and the hats at £2.75 each).

I added 1.5cm to the brim size and used heavyweight interfacing instead of medium.  A variation I might try in the future would be to keep the larger brim, increase the width of it to a full circle and leave out, or lighten, the interfacing to make a floppy hat. 

I didn't attach the crown B as per the instructions, I pressed under and then topstitched it to the brim.  I used contrasting thread for all the topstitching, turquoise for Big Sis and blue for Little Sis.  I didn't do the optional rows of stitching around the brim, partly for reasons of getting them finished in time for the end of August and partly because the brims were already so heavily interfaced that I didn't want to stiffen them further.


I should probably carry on and add a hatband of bias binding, it would add some variation and cover up my messy stitching.  Maybe a bow, or a detachable rosette.  But I almost never revisit a project, so they are more likely to stay this way forever!

Although I really like the pattern (if you're going to make a hat, make this one), I did not particularly enjoy sewing a hat.  I found all the joining on the curve frustrating and my edges did not line up smoothly.  There is a lot of cutting out in general and trimming of seam allowances in particular.  (Thank goodness for my rotary cutter!)  That said, this may be my first project where I have enjoyed assembling the second item more than the first.  Usually I get bored by the second project, but this one was more of a challenge, so I enjoyed the satisfaction of making the second one better, neater and way faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...