Tuesday 6 August 2013

Second Scooter Basket


After seeing the original scooter basket, of course, little sister wanted one too.

I don't always love repeating an item, but making something the second time is unquestionably faster and easier.  I didn't have to figure out the process and I had (just) enough documentation on sizing that I could make a duplicate.


I got stuck into one of the old shirts for the lining and the shirt was even so kind as to have some epaulets which I could re-purpose into straps.  I used blue thread for the stitching (and green for the bobbin as I have to use it up somehow!)  I learned my lesson from the first one and did a row of top stitching to close the top of the bag.  I really like the way it contrasts against the fabric, so much that I might go back over the red one with red stitches.

I know a lot of sewers are mad about making bags, but I'm not sure if it is really my thing.  I don't mind making them for the children here and there, but on the whole, I don't find them that rewarding.  (Ask me again after I get a picture of the two of them on their scooters!)

For the presentation of the finished item, I have a moral dilemma: I make things for the girls all the time.  Once I'm finished, I just go, "Here you go, here's a dress/skirt/whatever", they put it on, I take a photo.  Done.  Little sister has her birthday at the end of August and I am now storing makes to give her on her birthday.  Should I be gifting something I would give regardless?  Something big sister has probably already been given?  Should I be making more of an occasion of giving the things I make them the rest of the year?

Questions aside, she is getting some handmades as birthday gifts and there will be a photoshoot roundup for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...