Sunday 30 March 2014

Silver pin-dot T-shirt


My self made wardrobe is becoming so diversified that I'm beginning to think quite a lot of myself! My first T-shirt. Maybe I could try a self-made challenge, of some sort. Me Made May? I'm on my way!

I purchased this fabric from Girl Charlee, shipped to Canada last summer. (Trying to save on shipping.) At first, I was not delighted with these knits and found them difficult to work with, but this tee has converted me. It took a while, I've sewn three of the five knits I bought in the shipment. I guess practice makes perfect, plus the right pattern, because this one was the most pleasant to sew and it is lovely to wear. To truly sew garments that don't look home made, knits are the fabric to master. How often do we buy a RTW garment made of printed cotton? Never over the age of 7, I'll bet.


Along the way to becoming this tee, the fabric had a few other ideas of what it wanted to be. When I was originally browsing online, I imagined it as a great pencil skirt. When I saw it in person, and how fine it was, I realised that it would be a bit rude as a skirt. Next I admired Tilly's Mathilde top. I got pretty close to copying a favourite top to make something similar. But finally, I saw Lauren's t-shirt  and knew that this was the right choice for this fabric. The jersey really comes into its own in a simple t-shirt like this.

The pattern is Maria Denmark's, Kirsten Kimono Tee. At the time, it was free to subscribers of her newsletter. It was definitely worth signing up to get it (no spam so far) and I will be making this again, for sure.

My pattern notes

Changed:
*Sleeves: I sewed additional strips of binding as sleeve hems to keep the length (and because I didn't have very well matched thread).
*Sides: added 2cm to width from under-bust down rest of side seams. I wanted the extra ease, especially in such a fine fabric.
*Made a sway back adjustment (woo-hoo!): 2cm. Just by spinning the back of the pattern on the axis of the top of the armscye.
*The sleeve binding is the same width as sleeve measurement, no stretch. 3cm wide.

Next time:
*Sleeves: add 2cm to sleeve length.
*Neckline: scoop out the front neckline to lower it by 1.5cm. I think a little lower would be more flattering on me. Of course, this pattern could easily be adapted to any neckline shape you like.
*Neckline: make the neck binding with 10% stretch, not 15%. I have some terrible gathers at the back when I ran out of space to stretch the binding any more.
*Sides: add 2cm to waist and hips at side seams, front and back.
*Waist: make a short waist adjustment: raise 2cm at waistline.
*Hem: lower hemline by 2cm to compensate for short waist adjustment.


Final verdict:
I am so pleased with how well this pattern and the fabric work together that I am seriously considering ordering some more knits. What am I thinking?!

Costs: £5.13
All fabric, inc shipping.
The pattern, thread and tools (twin needle - didn't use) were free, stash or gift.

Credit must go to the gardeners at Regent's Park who provided the beautiful flowers for this photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...