Monday 30 December 2013

BurdaStyle Cowl Neck Jersey Top


A sleeveless summer top in double jersey with a cowl neckline.


In fact, this fabric was purchased to be a dress but the fabric had other ideas. It is part of my knit jersey stash that I bought way back in the summer.

I'm afraid that the 2 yards I ordered, and was charged for, turned out to be closer to 1.5 yards. When I decided that the time had come for the dress to unfold, I discovered that it wasn't going to be enough. The knit is crooked and the fabric yardage wasn't there. A single layer dress in fabric this thin would not have been pretty so I faced facts and made a top instead.


I realised how many patterns were at my disposal, now that I have a copy of Burda Style so I had a look and quickly found what I was looking for. Sleeveless, double layer, stretch fabric. Pattern tracing is not something I enjoyed, but I look at it as the price to pay for this many patterns for $9.50. I had to go over the outline with a black marker to be able to see it through my (gift wrap) tissue paper. I added a 1cm seam allowance.

The top was super-easy to sew. Cutting out the knit was the second hardest part (after the pattern tracing). I now use a layer of computer paper under the knit fabric and the needle-jumping has become minimal. I learned a new construction technique for enclosing seams within a lining - the first that are fully enclosed with all machine sewing. I'll be trying it again for sure, although I don't know if it will be as easy with cotton which is thicker and stiffer. It requires a bit of reaching through tunnels of fabric. The thin jersey lends itself to the cowl neckline perfectly and the neckline means no need for nice finishes or exposed seams. Perfect!

I've left the hem unfinished but I now have a twin needle so I am going to hem it. The pattern is also a bit too large and I am going to go back and take in the top pieces of the side seams.


Final cost: $20 (unless I make something else from Burda)

For the record, the pattern is BurdaStyle 11/2013 Dress 112, I made a 38, but the arms feel a little large.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...