Wednesday 31 August 2016

Beach Cover Up


A lovely day at the English seaside!

My wardrobe has not really needed a beach cover up, but I am a sucker for new sewing projects, so I kept my eye out for some cotton lace fabric and this one spoke to me when I was in Canada, at Fabricana.

It was sold in a tube, the fabric was manufactured in the round, so I decided to use that to my advantage when making the garment.

I bought a length of 85cm, and a burn test tells me that it is cotton. It has a very stiff hand and hasn't softened with washing. I would prefer if it had a bit more drape. It is also a little too bulky and heavy to be a really convenient beach cover up.


To make up, I sewed the shoulder seams together, by hand, along an angle. Then I trimmed off the excess to a very small seam allowance. The fabric doesn't fray. Then I snipped along the eyelets down the sides to create an armhole. The front slashed neckline was too high, so rather than trim it down, I folded it down and stitched it so that it forms a facing on the front neckline. I quite like the extra thickness there, and it is handy to have a quick way of telling the front from the back. I threaded cotton cording through the eyelets for the belt tie. That actually took some time, because the eyelets don't run straight around the tube in a circle. I was going a bit wonky and had to work out how to keep it level while still looking like I was going though a proper row.



I think it is not quite finished. I really should stitch a hem around each armhole, and possibly the hem. Because it is all hand sewing, it makes a good travel project to finish up when I really miss stitching.

But not on the Isle of Wight.


Costs:
Fabric: £6.85
Cording: 44p
Total: £7.29



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...