Sunday 17 April 2016

Stride Socks


My first sock project, this comes from a knitting magazine to which I recently subscribed, The Knitter. I was so impressed with this issue, number 95. There are about 5 projects that I have added to my Ravelry queue. I started with these socks because I had the yarn on hand and knew it would be a portable project for a week away in the countryside.




The yarn was from Tiger, of all places, and it is 100% wool. Amazing considering it was £1. It is not terribly scratchy and I do love the colours. It is a combination of teal, black, blue, navy and khaki. The colour changes happen really quickly, about 3 stitches for each colour. The right sock has come out very flecked, but the left sock has managed to pool the colours in wonderful ways, causing a wavy line of khaki to run up the top of the foot!



I struggled to get the cast on stitches to fit over my foot. Even with a Twisted German Cast On. I upsized the needle and the pattern size to do so. The sizing of the rest of the sock is consequently much too large. After I finished the right sock, I tried to compensate in the left by knitting a smaller heel flap, hoping that a smaller foot size would be the result, but actually, I ended up with a smaller sock overall, including in height. It is quite funny really. The fit on the left foot is actually very good for me. I decreased the toes unevenly on the left, and much prefer the shape.

I confess that I stopped bothering with the slip stitches on the left by the time I got into the foot. I kept going with the rib though. I stopped the rib at both the toes, preferring a smooth stocking stitch in that area.



I do find them quite uncomfortable to wear. I don't know if this would be true of all socks, but when I wore them with shoes, as opposed to around the house, they hurt by the end of the day and I had to change them for something softer and smoother on my delicate feet.

My foot model is not the same size as me, but she is showing them off beautifully. I couldn't manage to photograph my own feet, and I didn't have a suitable background. We got photo-bombed by a jealous foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...