Wednesday 28 October 2015

Doll Bat Cape and Hood



I had enough fabric left from the child size Bat Cape and Hat to make a matching set for her American Girl Doll. 

This was actually a pretty fun project. Which, for me, means easy and fast. Even drafting a pattern, I got it done in just an hour or two, and I used up almost every last scrap of leftover fabric.

The dolls extensive wardrobe includes a hoodie so I used that to draw a paper pattern of a hood. I made it longer and added seam allowances. I didn't bother to make the darts that the child pattern has, nor did I try to shape the face into a widow's peak. I completely guessed at the ears size and placement and was very lucky. Ribbon from the gift wrap bag meant I didn't have to make bias binding for the ties. Not fun when you are working with polycotton.

I also drafted the pattern for the cape by using the shoulder curve of the same hoodie and extending it down to the hem. I noticed how well fitted the child's cape is to their shoulders, and how much it improves the look and the fit of the cape, so I followed the same style lines. Sewed the seams together, selvedges for the front, pinked the hems, ribbon ties. Bam! Done!



Cost:
Leftover fabric: £0.00
Self drafted pattern: £0.00
Salvaged ribbon: £0.00
Stash thread: £0.00
Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...