Sunday 22 February 2015

Sewing Lessons

What kind of teacher will I be?
  a. a bad one
  b. so-so
  c. incomprehensible
  d. bossy
  e. all of the above

I'm really looking forward to showing a friend a few things about sewing garments. I'm so curious to find out how different it is to sew vs showing someone the basics of sewing.

I can't decide if we need to start with some really simple, straight seams. A pillowcase, or a tote bag. They are a little boring, but it is perhaps necessary to start with the basics. Plus, they give instant gratification because you get to take home something you made that day. Our eldest daughters are BFFs (so adorable!), and maybe we should make them matching pillowcases. Hmm, perhaps a trip to the fabric store this weekend...

For the first garment, I figured on a really simple child's tank dress. Taking inspiration from the Colette Sorbetto Top, I can draft a child's pattern and we can attach a drop waist gathered skirt.

Because we are getting all Sound of Music and making clothing from discarded household textiles, I'm going to use the checked sheet for my teaching sample. I'm going to add a button tab at the front neckline to break it up.


Here's how I thought it could break down into steps with new skills:

Stage 1
How to cut out a garment from a pattern. 
Including:
-how to read pattern markings
-grainlines and selvedges
-pinning and cutting
Result: pieces cut out and ready to sew

Stage 2
Using a sewing machine.
Including:
-how to thread a machine
-pinning and sewing a straight seam
-securing a seam at the beginning and end (reverse and couture)
-sewing a zig zag stitch
-the importance of pressing!
-intro to seam finishes
Result: side seams and shoulder seams sewn
(I am now convinced that this should be Stage 1 as a pillowcase - it's too much to ask to wait until the second stage to get our hands on a machine.)

Stage 3
Sewing a curved seam.
Including:
-intro to bias binding
-sewing a curved seam
-attaching an exposed bias facing
Result: neckline and armhole bindings

Stage 4
Attaching the skirt
Including:
-sewing a gathering stitch
-attaching the skirt to the bodice
-hemming
Result: finished dress!

There are a few things better suited for Dressmaking 2.0 which I will prepare in advance:
-pattern tracing and altering
-winding a bobbin
-making bias binding

Here is a dilemma: French seams are the right seam type here. Will I be doing my friend a disservice if I don't show her a flat seam with a zig zagged edge? I loathe flat, zig zagged seams. Loathe! They are the dead giveaway of a home made garment. There, I've answered my own question, I will positively be doing her a favour if she never learns how to do them!

I'm also in two minds about adding a centre back seam (more seam practice) with a small opening at the neckline. I don't want the dress to have a very scooped neckline, but it has to pull on and off over the child's head. A little button loop, or hook and eye closure could make the front much nicer. Finally, should I do facings rather than a bound neckline and sleeves? Again, facings are more useful to a home sewer because more patterns are written that way, but bindings are neater, especially on a lightweight, semi sheer fabric. Binding.

Unfortunately the BFFs have become too cool to wear dresses so they are not getting matching gear, but this will be a cute summer dress for hot summer days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...