Tuesday 15 April 2014

Refashion: toddler pants to doll's skirt

 

Does this count as a wardrobe refashion? If judged by scale, or usefulness, perhaps not. But I’ll stake my claim and say, Yes, it's a refashion: I've taken an unused garment, reworked and given it a new lease of life.


These pants came with a gorgeous toddler dress that both my girls have worn for years and years. (Side note: I stopped insisting nice dresses be saved for special occasions. I noticed that I was packing away unworn dresses that I loved. I embraced the “use it up, wear it out” movement and the decision has brought my girls and I great pleasure ever since. Want to wear your best dress to the playground? Sure! *End tangent*)

I put the matching pants away in my fabric stash because the fabric was so lovely. I came across them the other day, I think I was looking for scraps to make a pocket lining. As I had doll clothes on my mind, it became obvious to me that these pants would transform easily into a doll’s skirt.

And so they did. I sliced off the leg holes and bottom, leaving the elastic waist intact. Then I trimmed the hem with an exposed bias facing. Finally, I opened a section of the waistband, enough to pull out the loop of elastic (thank goodness it wasn’t sewn into the channel). I pulled it tighter, to fit the doll’s waist. Trimmed, re-attached and hey presto!


Toddler pants to doll’s skirt in less than an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...