Saturday 29 June 2013

Planning new projects (a.k.a. fabric shopping!)

I've had a bit of a fabric and pattern buying spree recently.


First up, this cute print for dresses for the girls:


I also got 3 fat quarters to use as a contrast.  I planned to make the Oliver & S Popover Sundress but then I saw the top that Compagnie M is getting tested and I am tempted to change my plans.  Now, here is the critical question: using the starburst fabric for the main part of the top, how would you arrange the fabric for the bib?
 a. starburst all over with contrast piping (as on CM page)
 b. colour bib with contrast piping
 c. colour bib with same colour piping
 d. white bib with contrast piping

I waver a lot, but at the moment, I think I would go for b.

Now, on to some sewing for me.


I'm going to go for it and make this top first:


Apologies for the overexposed picture.  I'm starting with this mainly due to the seasons but I'm not really experienced enough because, yikes, it is chiffon! I'm not ready to tackle such a difficult fabric and what is going on with the Burda pattern?  I was grateful to see they include a seam allowance but why don't they have a sizing guide?  I bought this pattern for the jacket but I really like all the elements and I think the will look great in this turquoise floral print chiffon.  If only I can get the size right.  And the seam finishes.  And cut it without it moving.  And sew it straight.  Easy peasy!

In case it all goes horribly wrong, I am really looking forward to wearing this:


I got this pattern as a contender for the navy spot sundress and version C, long-sleeve, in a printed knit, has stuck in my mind ever since.  This fabric was a bargain and actually looks really great.  It is not too thin, is a nice weight, and I hope it is going to make a great version of this dress.  Again, it's a challenging fabric, but I might as well get on with it and sink or swim.  I'm planning on skipping the back zip, since it is a stretch fabric.  That way, I can avoid having to pattern match across a back seam, not to mention avoid installing a zip!

Winter workwear next:

This pinstripe is a wool mix and one of my favourite colours.  I had to grab a meter and I expect I can get out of it what I need for a skirt.  I won't be making my version as long as the picture.  I now have two patterns for skirts but this one has fewer seams, which will work better for a pinstripe.  The print fabric is going to be the lining.  Hopefully it will be a pretty easy, fast make.  I'm still not sure about this Burda pattern though - where is my layout diagram?

Last but not least, a dress and a jacket:

 
This grey flannel is exactly what I have been thinking about ever since I got this pattern.  It is really soft and will be lovely to wear but I am not entirely sure that it is going to work well in a garment. There is a lot of movement and drape in the fabric and it is heavy so I am not sure it will work for tailored garments.  I am telling myself that it seems like a blanket because I have 3 meters folded up so, right now, it is a blanket!
 
The dress pattern is the one I used for the navy spot sundress but I am going to make version D, the one in the photo, with the collar and sleeves.  I'm wondering if I could tape the pattern pieces together to omit the seam across the waist.  Can I do that?  Would it pull the dress out of shape?  It would be nice to have the option to wear it without a belt.
 
Finally, I'll show you this children's vintage pattern:

 
I haven't got any fabric in mind for it yet, I haven't even looked at it properly.  When I showed E, she said she didn't like it.  But I figured it is handy to have, even if I just use the sleeve pattern now and then.  I don't think I will ever make the full version, I don't expect a child would enjoy wearing such a high collar.  It's a cute 60s effect though.
 
Of course, I will be back to show you how I get on with all these projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...