Monday 10 June 2013

Navy Spot Sundress


This is the first made-for-me garment that I have sewn in over 20 years!

I am actually very pleased with how it turned out.  I have worn it to work and I have received more than one compliment.
The fabric is the same navy spot polycotton that went into the girls’ skirts. The pattern is New Look 6968 in View B.  It looks pretty much like the garment but I made some changes in the construction.  I didn’t understand why they had a lining and a facing.  In the pattern instructions, it appears as though you baste the lining to the fabric and then attach the facing as though there is no lining.  Perhaps this is normal and I just don’t have enough sewing experience, but I prefer to hide my seam finishes completely inside a lining, or have the lining join the facing, like in a jacket.  Instead, I attached the lining to the bodice as per the Party Dress and left the facing out completely.  I originally planned a version with sleeves but omitted them because I didn't want exposed seam finishes.  The fabric is so thin and the print so large that ending up with a sleeveless version has worked out for the best.


The lining fabric and the zip were reclaimed from a bridesmaids dress that I wore last summer.  I have plans to upcycle the main fabric and sash into a party dress for one of the little girls.  Because the reclaimed zip was not invisible, I inserted it showing, the colour match is good so it is not too serious.  The join at the bottom of the zip is a little wonky, but I don’t believe it is too noticeable.  The lining fabric is not marvellous, very static-y, but free lining is free lining and the dress really did need a full lining because the polycotton is so thin.  The lining also provided a useful toile for me.  I needed to skim a lot of curve off the hips, omit the darts in the skirt, make smaller darts in the bodice and lower the neckline by 1cm.  I didn’t have to shorten the waist, which I normally need to do.  I kept the hem above the knee for a large print, summer dress.


I will make this pattern again, I want to do a version with the collar and sleeves in a winter-weight fabric.  The other pattern, that I bought for this make and didn’t use, is going to be my first knit garment, as soon as I find the right print and colour.

All in all, I’m really happy with this: 8.5/10. 

Costs

Fabric: 2m = £7.50
Pattern: Bought two, used one = £13.35
Notions, thread: £0
New tools: Zipper foot ~£15
Total: £35.85

PS Here’s what you get when the only available photographer is your 3 year old.


Cost update:
Fabric per garment: £2.88
 used the second pattern, now £7.67
new total = £25.55

1 comment:

  1. Editing my costs:

    Total: £31.23
    Fabric: £2.88 (5 garments from one length)
    Pattern: Bought two, used one = £13.35
    Notions, thread: £0
    New tools: Zipper foot ~£15

    (I'm planning to amortize the costs of the patterns and the zip foot over future makes!)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...