Thursday 20 June 2013

Nautical top from E&E playsuit


Thank you to Elegance & Elephants for this playsuit pattern and tutorial for turning it into a top (and trousers).

I combined elements of the separates tutorial with elements of the playsuit bodice construction for this top.  I love (love!) the inverted pleat on the front, it looks so smart and crisp and is a great design element.  I would, however, make the stitching at the top and bottom of the pleat a little longer.  I only just got the stitching included before the hem and the top of my pleat has ended up about the length of the facing, which I really like.  (Full disclosure: I accidentally made a nick in the fabric when I was snipping threads so I had to lengthen the stitching at the top to enclose the nick – luckily it was only a small one!)   

I added length to the top as per the tutorial (and then some), but only increased the width by 2cm on the fold (so 4cm total), I cut out the angle along the side and just made it an A-line shape.  I had to take my seam allowances down to 1cm to make sure it would fit her.

I used my plain, white cotton for the facing and red bias binding for the ties.  I top stitched the bias binding along both sides so that it wouldn’t stretch.  I really like the white touches on both because I think it enhances the red, white and blue theme that I was going for.

Now, where has that summer weather gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...